Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Jaws, Hallway Couloir, Two Trees - Trifecta

It was an early start today. The plan was to leave for grizzly at 6 and meet up with Nico and Hayden who had plans of finding some good snow up in Days Fork. I figured I'd head up with them and get on some fun chutes. The early started ended up paying off on the way up. As we were nearing False Flagstaff we punched put of the clouds and caught some amazing morning views.



After we reached the ridge of Days fork (False Flagstaff) I split ways with Nico and Hayden and went east to scope out some chutes. After scouting out a few, I opted for Jaws chute, a fun line running northeast into Days Fork. The headwall of the chute was steep and rocky so it took a few turns to the leftside in a no-fall zone to enter. Throughout the chute there was plenty of deep snow and even more down the apron. A fun line especially with all the snow.

Hippy Turns down Jaws

From the bottom of Days I headed west back up Upper Days to the ridge coming off of Flagstaff. I was hoping to try and find the entrance to Hallway Couloir and scout it out for another trip. After finding it very easily, almost directly under where the skin track I was on topped out, I figured today was a good day for it. From the start you have to work your way in from skiers left, and then it continues for a long thin shot with tall rock walls on both sides. At the end of the chute, the run continues down "tube" for another 1000 feet or so until it reaches an old mining structure.

Hallway Couloir

Hallway in the center

Hallway is definitely one of the classics. Including the tube its almost 2000 feet long, and has huge walls and tight skiing. From the bottom of the run, it was a fairly long walk up Cardiff Fork to Cardiff Peak. It didn't help that I got completely off track and had to break trail for most of it. After finally reaching Cardiff Peak I decided to check out Two Tress with better viability. The other day Juistin and I dropped two trees with about 7 feet of visibility and spent most of the time trying not to get lost. The snow wasn't nearly as good on a southern aspect, but still a sweet run and a fun option for the exit. 

Looking down from the top of Two Trees

The day totaled about 5000 vertical feet of chute skiing and checking a few lines of my list.

GH

No comments:

Post a Comment